Episode 3: Music for the Road (and Murder at the Museum)
We had so much fun recording and editing our first two episodes, we've decided to shift our podcast schedule from monthly to every other week! Between our “trip” episodes, we'll record from different places around Cleveland, discussing various roadtrip and teardrop camping-related topics.
This episode is our first attempt at that, as we record on the drive home from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History’s Think & Drink with the Extinct (pictured above). The topic of conversation: What we like to listen to when we're on the road.
Mentioned in this episode:
1. Cleveland Museum of Natural History: If you enjoy science and beer, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History’s Think & Drink is for you! On select Thursdays each month, Think & Drink highlights a different science topic with exclusive access to professional staff and researchers, unique experiences, interactive demonstrations and beer. Thanks to Amanda winning an Instagram contest (woot!), we attended October’s Think & Drink as part of Scott’s birthday week. October’s focus was forensic science (murrrrrdddddeeer!!!!), and the next Think and Drink — which is actually this Thursday, Nov. 8 — is all about Prehistoric Cleveland. (Shout-out to the O.G. Lake Monster - Dunkleosteus!). If you’re interested, check out the 2018-2019 #ThinkandDrink schedule at cmnh.org/thinkanddrink.
2. Podcasts vs. Mixtapes: The two of us have differing views on what we like to listen to when we're on a roadtrip. Scott favors podcasts while Amanda prefers an old-fashioned mixtape/CD/playlist. Fortunately, there’s only one rule in the car: Driver gets the final say.
Our Podcast Recommendations: If you’re #TeamScott and prefer podcasts to music, here are five to add to the rotation: My Brother My Brother and Me, The Adventure Zone, The Flop House, NPR’s Ask Me Another, and My Dad Wrote a Porno (we haven’t listened to the fifth one yet, but it comes highly recommended by Scott’s sister and her husband). All of these are very different types of podcasts, but they have one thing in common: They’re hilarious.
Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix vol. 1 and vol. 2: If you don’t have time to build your own roadtrip mixtape, Guardians of the Galaxy’s Awesome Mix vol. 1 and Awesome Mix vol. 2 are musts. In addition to helming two amazing movies, James Gunn knows how to compile an incredible mixtape.
3. All Star: The Best Broadway Musical: The two of us have a habit (for better and for worse) to veer off on weird detours in our conversations. One of this episode’s detours led to a discussion about All Star: The Best Broadway Musical, which features only one song performed in different ways. If you haven’t guessed by now, that song is Smash Mouth’s All-Star. And if you’re as intrigued by this as we are, you’re welcome.
4. Giving Tuesday: In our episode intro, Scott shares some info about a cause that’s important to us. Amanda works for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, and through that work we’ve both been introduced to the amazing community of families, researchers, healthcare professionals and supporters who are helping find a cure for children and teens battling the deadliest childhood cancer. On Nov. 27, you can join the fight by fundraising or donating to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation in honor of Giving Tuesday. More info at http://bit.ly/PBTFGivingTuesday2018
5. Website Bonus! As a reward for reading this far (thanks!), here’s a playlist Amanda put together a couple years ago that’s still one of our favorites:
Superheroes, Scifi & Sunday Funnies playlist
Nobody Loves the Hulk (The Traits)
Robin The Boy Wonder (Jan & Dean)
Robots (Flight of the Conchords)
Sergeant Fury (The Sensational Alex Harvey Band)
Snoopy vs. The Red Baron (The Royal Guardsmen)
Still Alive (aka the theme from Portal) (Jonathan Coulton, featuring Sara Quin)
Superman’s Song (Crash Test Dummies)
Rocket Man (Elton John)
Magneto and Titanium Man (Wings)
Flash’s Theme (Queen)
The Ballad of Barry Allen (Jim’s Big Ego)
We'll be back in two weeks with our episode from Hocking Hills!